|THE PROBLEM WITH RINGWORM|
Ringworm is one of the trickiest pathogens to deal with, but recent studies suggest that mechanical removal of ringworm-contaminated material is the most important step in decontaminating an area.“We’ve come to realize that ringworm is ‘hairborne,’ it’s not airborne,” said Cynthia Karsten, DVM, outreach veterinarian for the Koret Shelter Medicine Program at the University of California, Davis School of Veterinary Medicine’s Center for Companion Animal Health. “If you physically remove all the hair and debris, you’ve decontaminated the area. Then we recommend cleaning three times and following with a disinfectant such as Rescue, and you’re good to go.”Natalie Isaza, DVM, clinical professor of shelter medicine and community outreach in the department of Small Animal Clinical Sciences at University of Florida’s College of Veterinary Medicine in Gainesville, recommends using Swiffer dry cloths to help mechanically remove hair and ringworm spores.
“They’re kind of electrostatic and they actually attract the ringworm particles,” she said. “Use them to wipe the walls and cages to get up any excess.” Thanks to Veterinary Practice News for this Article
Pedicure Do's and Don'ts
The Garbage Can:
Items in the garbage can are very tempting and can cause serious Gastro-intestinal problems if ingested. Keep the lid on it. If you suspect your pet may have ingested something that is hazardous or toxic call your veterinarian immediately or the nearest veterinary emergency hospital.
Rural Animal Clinic 480-345-9846
Emergency Animal Hospital 480-497-0222
The ASPCA also has a poison Control Center 888-426-4435 (there is a fee for this service)
part of our studies---so they can help other dogs, too."